1600 Marshall St NE, Suite 1
Minneapolis, MN 55413
construction administration

Our Story

The genesis of Blumentals/Architecture was actually before the firm was started. In 1973, Janis Blumentals went to work for Sheehy Construction, in Las Vegas, as their representative for the construction of the showroom and tennis club, as well as master planning at the Tropicana Hotel, owned by Dale Gustafson. In late 1974, Janis returned to Minneapolis to work for Sheehy and Gustafson on their many development projects.

1976Janis creates the firm, under the name of The Architects Group. It is located in the basement of 6100 Summit Drive, Brooklyn Center, Minnesota.

1977 – Susan Blumentals leaves Smiley-Glotter Architects and joins Janis in the firm. The firm moves to the second floor of 6100. The firm is incorporated as Blumentals/Architecture, Inc., with Janis as President, Susan as Vice-President.

1988 – We design a senior living complex that uses 6100 Summit as its front entrance, thus designing ourselves out of a home. Blumentals/Architecture moves temporarily to Palmer Lake Plaza, on Shingle Creek Parkway, while our future home at Earle Brown Heritage Center, another of our projects, is being restored.

1990 - Blumentals/Architecture moves back to the Farm upon the completion of the restoration and renovation of the old Earle Brown Farm into a conference and office complex, occupying half of the “H” Barn.

1993 – Susan becomes majority owner of Blumentals/Architecture, and the firm is certified as a Woman-Owned Business (WBE). Susan becomes President, and Janis becomes CEO.

1995Jim Moy joins the firm upon graduation from North Dakota State University.

1998 – The firm moves to the “D” Barn, on the Farm, when their project, Phase II of the Farm Development, adds the “H” Barn to the meeting facility.

2000 – John Klockeman joins the firm, and both Jim and John become part owners. Andy Swartz joins the firm at the end of 2000.

2004 – John and Jim together become majority owners. Susan retires January 1, 2004, and became a consultant to Blumentals/Architecture. John becomes CEO and Jim becomes President. Janis continues as a principal/founder of the firm.

2005 – John leaves the firm at the end of 2004. Jim becomes President & CEO while Janis continues as a principal / founder of the firm.

2006 – Jim becomes sole owner of the firm January 1st, 2006. Jim is President & CEO, Andy Swartz is named Vice President while Janis continues as a principal / founder of the firm.

2007 – Andy Swartz is named a principal in the firm in August.

2008 – After a long history at Earle Brown Heritage Center in Brooklyn Center, Blumentals/Architecture relocates to NE Minneapolis (Marcy Holmes neighborhood) in August. The new office is a one story addition to the old Telephone Exchange Building.

2013 – Jim & Julie Moy purchase the future home of Blumentals/Architecture; a former industrial building along the banks of the Mississippi River in NE Minneapolis.

2014 – After a few months of renovation, Blumentals/Architecture moves into their new home at 1600 Marshall St. NE.

Today – We are in the process writing our future, and we hope that you will be part of it.